Monday 8 August 2011

Vespid Stingwings Commission - part 1


It's good to be back at the hobby again, but with that also comes a little bit of responsability. It's not all just fun and games, I'm also going to have to finish two projects I promised some people I'd tackle once I'd be back.

The first of these involves a set of Vespid Stingwings. A friend over at the Astronomican forums really liked the Vespids I painted up when they were first released (see picture above) and asked me if I'd be able to take his army's armour colourscheme and paint up a squad for him as well. One squad has now turned into 14 models, two of which I can use as testminis

He's also given me quite a bit of free reign in how I want to tackle some of the details and colours, hence the two testminis. Rule one in this kind of business is that the customer is always right, even when if comes to a friend, so if my ideas aren't to his fancy I have a back-up mini for additional finetuning.

Rule number two, in my book anyway, is communication. It's better to ask too many questions than spend tons of time of something that ends up not hitting the bullseye your customer has provided for you. To this end I've been chatting away with the guy for a while now, getting a good feel for the themes, colours and accessories he wants to see on these minis.

I'm a visual person, so I like to keep notes and sketches (however childish they may be) around for projects like these. You can click on the pic below for a closer look at the 'info-sheet' I've put together for this project:


And that does it for today's update, later this week I'll have more Slaaneshi stuff as well as an actual picture or two of the Vespid minis!

No comments:

Post a Comment